- ½ clove Garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (the good stuff)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper, 5 to 6 twists of the mill
- ½ Red Dog Farm Cucumber, peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
- 1 medium, firm, meaty Red Dog Farm Tomato, cut into ½ inch chunks (and peeled if you’re feeling ambitious)
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 loaf 2-3 day old hearty Italian bread or other sturdy bread, torn into bite-sized chunks.
- ¼ Red Dog Farm sweet green, yellow, or red pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- A few Red Dog Farm Basil leaves, sliced into strips
- Mash the garlic, anchovies, and capers to a pulp in a mortar or in a bowl. Put into a salad bowl.
- Add the salt, olive oil, vinegar, pepper, and sweet pepper and blend thoroughly with a fork.
- Soak the bread in water briefly, squeeze it out, and add to the bowl.
- Add the pepper, cucumber, tomato, basil, and onion and toss thoroughly. Taste and correct for seasoning. Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
Alternative: lightly fry (or toast) bread squares in olive oil before adding to the salad.