Grated Fennel Relish
- 2 medium Red Dog Farm fennel bulbs (approximately 2 pounds)
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, roughly cracked
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
Prepare a boiling water bath canner and 4 pint jars. Place lids in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer.
Shred the fennel in a food processor or on a box grater. Finely mince onion (a food processor is easiest, but you can also do it with a knife). Combine grated fennel, minced onion, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard seeds, salt, fennel seeds, red chili flakes, and black pepper in a large pot and bring to a boil. Cook the relish at a boil for 2 to 3 minutes, until the liquid has reduced some. Add lemon zest, juice, and parsley and stir to combine. Remove relish from the heat and funnel it into prepared jars, leaving approximately 1/4 inch head space. Bubble jars well. Wipe rims, apply lids and rings, and process jars in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes. When time is up, remove jars from canner and place them on a folded kitchen towel to cool.